Planning your next ladies’ night? An evening of
gritos crooning over bebidas at your local karaoke bar is always a good idea, especially when you have a killer set already prepared. These Latina-sung girl power tunes will have you feelin’ yourself, laughing at f**kboys and relishing life with your fave homegirls. So warm up your vocals, grab your mamis and get the singing pari started.
1. Set the mood for the evening with Lil’ Kim’s hit “Not Tonight (Remix),” the ladies’ night anthem.
In 1997, this rap remake of Kool & the Gang’s “Ladies’ Night,” featuring Puerto Rican rapper-radio personality Angie Martinez, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, Missy Elliot and Da Brat, had our older primas and tias bailando from the car to the club. Now we can fully appreciate the tune, made for black-and-brown girl gangs just like yours.
2. With Donald Trump in office, it’s been a really rough year. But tonight’s the night to“Get Right.” Thank you, J. Lo.
Using an invisible cane to imitate the Puerto Rican entertainer’s famous dance break, take it back to 2015, singing and cracking up to this upbeat smash like you all were young teens again.
3. If dancing is going to accompany your high and low notes, then Shakira’s “Hips Don’t Lie” is a must.
So you might not be able to belly dance like the colombiana behind this megahit, but you can try. Besides, your homegirls, right by you giving their best shot at the Shakira yodel, are going to praise your moves regardless.
4. Now that you’re energized, it’s time to let out your emotions. Let your raging feminist loose with Christina Aguilera’s “Can’t Hold Us Down.”
The half-Ecuadorean superstar gave us the feminist anthem of the early millennium, and it’s still oh so relevant. Call out society’s slut and body shaming, and double standards by attempting Aguilera’s vocal runs and Lil Kim’s rhymes.
5. It’s time to direct that anger at the pendejo who broke your heart, so your crew should obviously play Selena’s “Si Una Vez.”
You and your girls are members of the club for the broken-hearted, but y’all aren’t home wasting tears about it. You’re out, lookin’ your best, and knowing damn well that “ese error es cosa de ayer.” It’s a song the whole squad can relate to over classic music they won’t be able to sit down through, so sing it with as much passion as “La Reina de Tejano” once did.
6. Make a pact that none of you will ever let another person treat y’all like those foul exes did with 3LW’s “No More.”
Your crew always has each other’s back. Like the chicas of 3LW, who you banged out to back in middle school, they’re the girls who will remind you “no more” when that ex starts “blowin up my pager, say you want a chance, a chance.”
7. That’s enough sorrow for the night. It’s officially time to laugh at salty men, and no tune does it better than Mariah Carey’s “Obsessed.”
Whether he’s tight ’cause you finally moved on or because you never gave him play to begin with, you and your mamis turn f**kboys into the latest joke, just like the part-Venezuelan Mariah did to Eminem back in 2009.
8. A few drinks and lots of chuckles in, you are officially feelin’ yourself – as you should. Sing your self assurance to Demi Lovato’s “Confident.”
From patriarchy’s limiting beauty standards to crappy partners who tore your heart apart, it can be hard to love yourself. But with a little help from your friends, you’re feelin’ being you tonight. Like Lovato, don’t hold your “freak back” no longer, let the world know that “bitch, I run this show” and embrace how “complicated” you are, because there’s nothing wrong with being confident.
9. There are levels to confidence, though, and Fergie’s “Fergalicious” is perfect for that post-tequila immodest kind of self-love.
You and your crew “make the boys go loco,” and like the part-mexicana behind this song, you know it and laugh at how they “be lining down the block just to what what [y’all] got.”
10. But your team has more than good looks and bomb personalities to be smug about. Like Kelis, that “Milkshake” is A1, too.
You’ve hit inebriated levels, so it’s officially time to start singing songs dedicated to your goodies, the thing that “brings all the boys to the yard” and “what the guys go crazy for.” Like the part-Puerto Rican Kelis, your crew knows there is nothing shameful about their sexuality, so why not sing about your milkshake?
11. It’s been fun crooning and gyrating over older hits, but Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” offers a new banger to feel yourself to.
Your crew has been going hard for a while. Vocals are shaky and makeup may need some retouching, but as soon as the beat to this part-dominicana’s summer smash comes on, all the girls are back up, yellin’, “little bitch, you can’t f**k with me, if you wanted to. These expensive. These is red bottoms. These is bloody shoes.”
12. Your time at the karaoke bar is just about up, so end this part of girls’ night with a tune for the road: Kali Uchis’ “Ridin ‘Round.”
Whether your designated driver is taking your clique to the next turn-up spot or to Club Cama, prep yourselves for the trip like this colombiana would, singing “I’m ridin’ ’round and my car’s low (What you waitin’ for?). I feel like I hit the lotto (What you waitin’ for?). I’m ridin’ ’round and my girl’s high (What you waitin’ for?). We’re ridin’ ’round just to get by.”