20 Awkward Prom Photos That Will Make You Relive Your Greatest Moments
Prom is a special time in everyone’s life, whether because you absolutely hated it or you absolutely loved it. Or, perhaps, you even fell somewhere in between… Or, better yet, you both hated it and loved it. I have many nice prom memories and, funnily enough, have even been able to strike the “prom pose” as an adult because those photo instincts never die.
No matter what kind of prom you had, though, it’s a pretty safe bet that you have at least one super awkward prom photo hiding in your albums. There are the photos where you question your date’s hair, where you’re looking off into different cameras, where you’re posing weirdly with your squad. But all of these photos are for the greater good, a.k.a. the joy of reliving those great moments at some point in the future and both laughing and crying over all the awkward prom photos you once took.
In memory of this, here are 20 awkward prom photos that you’re not soon to forget.
1. The #TBT photo where you’re not quite sure about your date’s hair.leahflytrap/Instagram
You probably felt like a Disney princess in this dress, amirite? That’s the best part, of course. But as for your date’s quasi-Justin Bieber hair, you’re not so sure anymore… Whoops for bad high school judgment.
2. That awkward photo where you both dressed up… as prom’s worst nightmare.thetankgyrl/Instagram
Jason and Carrie, a match made in heaven? Well, it’s a pretty cool costume for a couple who surely strikes fear into the hearts of all of their besties.
3. The one photo where you’re starting the dancing off early.blackgirlslayprom/Instagram
Watch me whip, and watch me nae nae. And then watch these prom photos life on for a lifetime, long after you’ve forgotten what it is that you’re doing here.
4. The one where your date is awkwardly much taller than you, even when wearing heels.margotxoxox/Instagram
Perhaps you should have opted for platform stilettos? You love who you love, but sometimes it’s funny looking back at these oh-so-awkward photos with immeasurable height differences.
5. The one where you and your bestie pose.allo986/Instagram
Nothing wrong with posing for a photo with your bestie, even if you both look a bit frightened and out of place. After all, that’s what best friends are for, right?
6. The one where your date is definitely NOT ready for that photo.maisonaurora/Instagram
He looks sweetly surprised by how cute you look (and you do!), but maybe he should be facing the camera instead? Yeah, this definitely makes things a bit awkward.
7. The obligatory kissing photo…ps_burlesque/Instagram
Everyone absolutely LOVES love, but maybe you should leave those kissing pictures to yourselves. Of course, you can’t help but take this, so we don’t blame ya.
8. The one where you’re in an equal relationship.mansionlvr/Instagram
Hey, if you have to pose awkwardly with your bum to your partner, then there’s no reason why he shouldn’t do the same. At least you both look mega hot, amirite?
9. The photo where you’re single and ready to mingle.benandmarissado/Instagram
Absolutely nothing wrong with being single when you head to prom, and especially if your memories include taking awkward solo photos amongst super fancy backdrops. Thanks, mom.
10. The one where there’s balloons and awkward smiles.brookiebee4/Instagram
Let’s be honest: You have NO idea where those balloons originally came from or why they’re there, but it’s still a fun photo to look at. If only you and your date could have both managed to look at the camera…
11. The one where your parents went ALL extra.dollupbree/Instagram
Thanks, mami and papi, for this wonderful car that I can ride around in… But, um, just a bit much? Of course, with a ride this sweet, who even needs a date?!
12. The one where you can’t help but dress up in gold queenly robes.howrichisyourmelanin/Instagram
You are a REINA and you know it. Maybe you won’t make it to Prom Queen this year, but you can certainly go dressed up as the princess-to-be from the magical land of Zamunda, can’t you?
13. The one where your prom date looks like he was in a boy band.nrdnick/Instagram
We all have memories of this from the 90s, so don’t be surprised if all of our prom pictures feature this in one from or another. Frosted tips on the fellas? Okay, then.
14. The one where your mami made a badass backdrop.tristantaormino/Instagram
I mean, if you’re GOING to take photos in front of a backdrop before prom, then it sure as heck better be something gorgeous and shimmering and oh-so-pretty. Thanks, y’all.
15. The one where you and your date match.kyrieeleisoncouture/Instagram
Sometimes, you just have to match with your date. Wearing black-on-black can be a pretty awesome look for both you and your date. And they’re looking hot, no?
16. The one where your guy friends just… Well, here you go.lwimaging/Instagram
The fellas gotta show off somehow, and here they are in the classic “prom pose”… All 10 of them! This is so many extra points that I’m not even sure what to do with myself.
17. The one where your squad all needs to pose.starrdeyes/Instagram
Maybe not everyone is feeling this photo, but the squad goes nowhere on their own. Can we raise a hand for all of the fabulous single ladies featured in this photo?
Also shout out to the Charlie Angels pose we thought was so clever.
18. The one where your date is putting on your corsage… Because, of course.jengusey/Instagram
These silly kids and their corsages! You can’t go to prom without one of these, now and forever. You simply must take one of these photos, even if you’re not quite such a big fan of them.
19. The one where you look so fly that you spend more time hyping yourself than your date.blackgirlslayprom/Instagram
If you’re looking OH SO GOOD, then you have to take photos. But sometimes you might get caught up in taking photos and photos and more photos, until your date just looks plain old bored in the background.
20. The one where you’re just happy you made it this far, tbh.magnetic.nikki/Instagram
Hooray, you made it to prom! Maybe you didn’t think you would get this far in your high school career, but now it’s here and almost over. Perhaps there’s even a tear to be shed on the horizon?
Recommend this story by clicking the share button below!
Notice any corrections needed? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org